Yoga has gained popularity in the recent years, and it seems like everywhere you go, there’s somebody carrying their yoga mat into a gym, studio, park, or even to the beach. If you haven’t been to a yoga class yet, you’re probably thinking about trying it out…
So to prepare you, here are some commonly used yoga terms and words, DECODED:
1. Guru – Teacher or Master
2. OM – Pronounced “Aum”, this sound is believed to be the cumulative sound of the universe. It is chanted in the beginning, during, and/or end of class, and it is known to have a vibratory quality that helps center and calm the mind to be in the present moment.
3. Mantra – Sounds (generally in Sanskrit) or groups of sounds repeated to create a desired positive effect.
4. Asana – Physical yoga poses
5. Pranayama – Breath control/manipulation to create a desired energetic effect whether it is to energize, calm, or center oneself.
6. Ujjayi – Type of Pranayama where inhalations and exhalations are done in the back of the throat. Although not necessary, it is common to hear loud Ujjayi breaths.
7. Surya Namaskar – Sun Salutation; a combination of poses linked together to start warming up the body.
8. Prana – Energy; Life force
9. Chakras – Seven concentrated energy centers beginning at the base of the spine and ending at the top of the head.
10. Meditation – Focusing on something (or nothing) to reach deeper stages of consciousness.
11. Savasana – Pronounced “Shavasana”, translates into “corpse pose”. It is during Savasana, that you reap the benefits of the hard work you put into the class.
12. Namaste – Typically spoken at the end of yoga classes, translates to “May the spirit within me honor/respect/celebrate the spirit within you.”
-Jheni Solis, Fabletics Master